Monday 8 November 2021

Forthcoming Association of Professional Genealogists elections

Apologies for the abuse of my own news blog here (!), but the following post is intended for my fellow members of the Association of Professional Genealogists (www.apgen.org). 

As someone who resigned as a very disillusioned Board member last month, I am proud to support the write-in campaign of my APG colleagues Annette Burke Lyttle, John Boeren, and Katherine Willson for the posts of President, Vice-President and Secretary.

The following is their manifesto commitments on which they are seeking votes:

We've generated a lot of discussion about the organization, and that is positive and important. The days of grumbling to ourselves or in small groups are over, and I see a possibility for real change for the better. I want to make a clear statement about some of the things I stand for as the write-in candidate for president. I know my colleagues, John Boeren, candidate for vice president, and Katherine Willson, candidate for secretary, are committed to these changes, as well.

• an overhaul of the elections process so it is fair and transparent
• an overhaul of the bylaws, policies, and procedures (rather than piecemeal changes) to allow the organization to function in the best interests of its members
• instituting mechanisms for easy two-way communication between the leadership and the membership and really listening
• collaborative decision making rather than having the power vested in the EC and the board as a rubber stamp
• reviving the eNews and the discussion forum to keep members informed and to allow them to network
• better serving our international members by learning what they need and supplying it

If you support these changes, then please consider voting for us, the write-in candidates.

The nominations have now been announced by the APG (please check your email for the list of nominees). Disappointingly they do not include Annette, John and Katherine, despite their request to be considered. I believe that all three could provide a much-needed fresh perspective, and outstanding leadership skills, to the organisation, particularly with regards to those of us in the international membership, as well as to our colleagues in the USA. An election without a choice is simply a coronation.

I would therefore ask you to seriously consider the option of adding all three in as 'write-in' candidates when the ballot drops in the next few days. You can find more about Annette, John and Katherine via their biographies on the APG Directory site.

Thank you.

UPDATE:  Here are candidate biographies for all three (their names can be added in on the ballot as write-in candidates):

Biography of Annette Burke Lyttle, write-in candidate for president
I have been a professional genealogist since 2014, initially offering services in research, writing, and education. In recent years my business has become centered on genealogy education in the form of speaking, teaching courses, and coaching individual clients on how to do research. I’ve held a number leadership positions in genealogical organizations, including vice president and program chair of the Colorado APG chapter and vice president and program chair of the APG Writers SIG. I’m also active in the Florida State Genealogical Society, serving on their webinar team and as editor of The Florida Genealogist. As a contractor for APG, I coordinated three Professional Management Conferences (2017–2019).

I have coordinated courses for GRIP and SLIG and currently coordinate the Fall Virtual Intermediate Foundations course for SLIG. I lead a Best Practices Study Group for three different organizations.
Non-genealogy volunteer experience includes serving as president of the Friends of the Pikes Peak Library District and as president of the Golden (Colorado) Urban Renewal Authority. 

I had a long career working in leadership positions in the government, corporate, small business, and educational sectors. That experience has given me the skills to work together with people to get the job done, whatever that job is. I understand the importance of listening and communicating, of valuing the people I work with, and of delivering results for the people I work for.

I think APG should be a “big tent” that accommodates, supports, and provides for all professional genealogists, regardless of how traditional or non-traditional their business or working situation is, regardless of background and age, regardless of anything that might separate us. We have more in common than we have differences, and we will all be better off if we can share, talk openly, and work for the good of all.

Here is my immediate vision for APG:
• an overhaul of the elections process so it is fair and transparent
• an overhaul of the bylaws, policies, and procedures (rather than piecemeal changes) to allow the organization to function in the best interests of its members
• instituting mechanisms for easy two-way communication between the leadership and the membership, and really listening
• collaborative decision making rather than having the power vested in the EC with the board as a rubber stamp
• reviving the eNews and the discussion forum to keep members informed and to allow them to network
• better serving our international members and our younger members by learning what they need and supplying it


Biography John Boeren, LLM, PLCGS, write-in candidate for Vice President
I live and work in The Netherlands. After I graduated from Tilburg University (Law School) I took classes at the School for Archivists in The Hague. My first work experience was with the Tilburg Regional Archives, as their team manager for research services. Later I served several mayors as their advisor on ceremony and protocol. In 2015 I started my own genealogy business, called Antecedentia. I then took classes at the National Institute for Genealogical Studies (Professional Development, Methodology, English Records). Since October 2020 I have been enrolled in the Strathclyde certificate program for Genealogical, Palaeographic and Heraldic Studies. In 2018 I became a fulltime genealogy professional, one of only a few in the Netherlands. I was a speaker at international conferences and wrote articles for international magazines and blogs. 

Over the last thirty years I served on many boards, often in the position of secretary, vice-president or president. Examples are:

• Dutch Genealogical Society (board member, 2004-2009 and 2014-2017, including the position of vice-president)
• Hasselt Chapel Foundation (secretary 2009-2012)
• Royal Archery Guild Sint Sebastian (secretary 2011-2015, president 2015-2021)
• THE Genealogy Show (board member, 2018-present)
• Netherlands Academy voor Genealogy (president, 2020-present)
• The Hidden Branch (ambassador, 2021-present)

For my longstanding contribution to the Dutch society, especially in the field of local history and genealogy, the King of the Netherlands appointed me Knight in the Order of Orange-Nassau in 2018.

Since January 2020 I have served on the board of APG as one of the directors. As the write-in candidate for the position of Vice-President I envision to 

(1) improve the communication within the board and with the membership;
(2) work on transparency and trust;
(3) develop member services;
(4) increase the attention for international members and
(5) give young genealogists a fair position in the genealogy community.

I wish to work together with other genealogists in an organization that represents the interests of genealogists, and that is committed to collaboration and continuing education.


Biography of Katherine R. Willson, write-in candidate for secretary
I live in Dexter, Michigan, and have been teaching beginning, intermediate, and advanced genealogy classes in Michigan since 2001, as well as speaking at local, regional, and national conferences. I authored The Genealogist’s Guide to Grand Rapids, Michigan, published in 2018, and research family history for clients. I created the “Genealogy on Facebook” list of over 16,700 Facebook genealogy links, now hosted on Cyndi’s List. I coordinate “Teaching Genealogy Classes in Your Community” for the SLIG Academy.

I have held the following leadership positions in genealogical societies:

• Virtual Genealogical Association (Founder and President 2018–2020
• Michigan Genealogical Council (Vice President and President 2016–2019)
• Association of Professional Genealogists (Board of Directors 2018–2019)
• Federation of Genealogical Societies (Conference Publicity Chair 2019)
• Genealogical Speakers Guild (Secretary 2018–2019)
• Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh (Social Media Chair 2018–2019)

As an Army Reserve wife of more than 25 years I have assisted military families as a Family Readiness Group Leader, an Army Family Programs volunteer, and a member of the Department of Defense’s Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program cadre of speakers. I have also served as President, Vice President, and Treasurer of the Huron River Art Collective (formerly Ann Arbor Women Artists).

I am committed to two-way communication, transparent and collaborative decision-making, making APG a truly international organization, and serving the interests and needs of all professional genealogists. 

(With thanks to all three)

Chris

My new book Tracing Your Irish Ancestors Through Land Records is now available to buy at https://bit.ly/IrishLandRecords. Also available - Sharing Your Family History Online, Tracing Your Scottish Family History on the Internet, Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet (2nd ed), and Tracing Your Scottish Ancestry Through Church and State Records - to purchase, please visit https://bit.ly/ChrisPatonPSbooks. Further news published daily on The Scottish GENES Facebook page, and on Twitter @genesblog.

1 comment:

  1. Many thanks Chris for sharing the three write-in candidates' resumes. It is very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete