Thursday 31 March 2022

Finding the gravestone that doesn't exist - Part 2

In June 2019 I wrote on my previous news blog, Britsh GENES, that I had been absolutely stunned to discover, thanks to MyHeritage, that a headstone for my great grandfather Robert Currie, and for his son of the same name, existed at Riddrie Park Cemetery in Glasgow. 

I was stunned for the simple reason that when I first started my family history research two decades ago I had contacted Glasgow City Council to enquire about where he was buried, and had been told that it was at the Eastern Necroprolis - I even met up with a council worker who took me to the spot, which had no headstone. An email from MyHeritage had suggested that they had a match on BillionGraves.com for Robert, and that the Council, and therefore I, had got it spectacularly wrong (See http://britishgenes.blogspot.com/2019/06/finding-gravestone-that-doesnt-exist.html)

It had been my intention to take my father to the grave, but as he was ill at the time, this could not immediately happen. Covid then hit in early 2020, and a year ago, my father passed away, having contracted the virus on top of other medical complciations.  

On Sunday I finally managed to make it to Riddrie Park Cemetery and paid my respects to both my great grandfather and great uncle, on behalf of myself and my father. Here's to ye lads...



Don't forget that you can access many Glasgow burial registers now for free via FamilySearch's catalogue - the following link should help: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&query=%2Bkeywords%3AGlasgow%20%2Bkeywords%3Acemetery (make sure you are signed in first to see the collections!)

Chris

My new book Tracing Your Irish Ancestors Through Land Records is now available to buy at https://bit.ly/IrishLandRecords. Also available - Sharing Your Family History Online, Tracing Your Scottish Family History on the Internet, Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet (2nd ed), and Tracing Your Scottish Ancestry Through Church and State Records - to purchase, please visit https://bit.ly/ChrisPatonPSbooks. Further news published daily on The Scottish GENES Facebook page, and on Twitter @genesblog.

2 comments:

  1. Chris - are these records searchable - or do you just have to plough through each image ?

    Edith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no keyword searchable tool to find names, but the records are presented in various ways, some of them containing indexes, others with records in chronological order of burial. It's usually straightforward enough to work through them, although on or two registers have loose pages gathered up and presented in the wrong order, which can occasionally be a challenge!

      Chris

      Chris

      Delete