Wednesday 8 November 2023

AncestryDNA adds two stage sign-in verification

A little annoying this - Ancestry (www.ancestry.co.uk) has followed various other platforms in adding a two stage sign-in verification procedure for its DNA offerings, as an added level of security. A username and password are now not enough - you also have to have a code either emailed to you, or sent to your phone. 

We’re adding an extra layer of security to AncestryDNA

 At Ancestry, your privacy is a top priority, and we are committed to being good stewards of your personal information. As part of our efforts to protect your information, we offer two-step verification as an option to sign in to your Ancestry account.

Soon, to enhance the security of your account, we will begin requiring two-step verification as part of the sign-in process. You can enable this feature now in your account settings. If you need assistance, we’re always here to help.

I've opted for the email, as I can access that on several devices - I don't want to be locked out of my Ancestry account because my phone has been misplaced! To be fair to Ancestry, they have also given a one time recovery code for use if I can't access my email for any reason. 

But I can't even begin to tell you how bored I am becoming with the number of apps and sites that are now requiring me to use two stage verification, something I initially only had to do with banking apps.

Chris

Order Tracing Your Belfast Ancestors in the UK at https://bit.ly/BelfastAncestors. Also available - Tracing Your Irish Ancestors Through Land Records, Sharing Your Family History Online, Tracing Your Scottish Family History on the Internet, Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet (2nd ed), and Tracing Your Scottish Ancestry Through Church and State Records - to purchase, please visit https://bit.ly/ChrisPatonPSbooks. For purchase in tthe USA visit https://www.penandswordbooks.com. Further news published daily on The Scottish GENES Facebook page, on Threads at @scottishgenesblog and via Mastodon at https://mastodon.scot/@ScottishGENES.

No comments:

Post a Comment