Monday 28 February 2011

Who Do You Think You Are Live Day 3

Day 3 of Who Do You Think You Are? Live ended on a high, albeit as a much quieter event, and possibly quieter than last year's Sunday also. Still a lot happening, and I managed to video interviews with Nigel Bailey of TheGenealogist.co.uk, Karel Kiely of RootsIreland (aka the Irish Family History Foundation), Janet Hancock from PRONI, Audrey Collins from TNA, and Debra Chatfield from FindmyPast.

I also managed to meet John Reid from the Anglo-Celtic Connections blog for the first time, to catch up briefly with Ian Marson of AGRA, and also spent an hour on the stall for the Association of Professsional Genealogists where in addition to meeting many other members of the society I also had the pleasure of chatting to someone from the BBC Archive who happened to pop along to enquire about membership! I have previously blogged about the archive's policy on dealing with non-institutional based enquiries, and was advised to ignore it and to send my enquiry in anyway! As usual Nick Barratt was running around like the proverbial blue-bottomed fly, but I caught up with him to discuss genealogy cruises and time travel, and had chats with many of the UK based genealogy magazine editors I write for, as well as meeting Your Family History's editor Laura Berry for the first time to discuss some possible articles in the near future. My new book was being on the same stand as the magazine (same publisher), and was happily flying off the stand, which is a bit odd for an inanimate object really!

Whenever the show ends there is always a real sense of deflation after such an intense burst of adrenalin, but it was definitely a fun event and Hell won't stop me returning next year. I said goodbye to the Blatchfords, who I'll be seeing again in Newcastle in a few months time, and made my way to Euston station for the long trip back on the Caledonian Sleeper.



But what did I discover at WDYTYA Live?! Oooh, shed loads - but that's for another post...!

Chris


www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk
Professional genealogical problem solving and research
http://twitter.com/ChrisMPaton
Researching Scottish Family History (New book)

Tracing Your Family History on the Internet (Even newer book!)

No comments:

Post a Comment