Monday 20 September 2010

Order of the Eastern Star in Bridgeton

I don't think I have ever been as busy as I have in the last couple of months, but that does not mean that I still can't get the odd moment of personal family history research in!

I've just received the papers of my grandmother's membership of the Order of the Eastern Star from my father. They are in a sorry state, but include a diploma she was awarded in November 1922, just after she had turned 18, and her life membership card from the following month. My grandmother, Jean Currie, was born in Bridgeton, Glasgow, and moved to Northern Ireland in the mid 1930s, settling initially in Belfast and then moving to Carrickfergus, where I was subsequently raised some years later.

I have posted copies of her Eastern Star documents here - she was in Bridgeton No. 88 Chapter. I have not been able to find anything about the chapter online, though have made enquiries of their head office in Glasgow earlier today. However, if anyone knows anything about the order's history in Scotland, and perhaps of the Bridgeton chapter, I would love to hear from you!

Here goes...

Many thanks!

Chris

www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk
Professional genealogical problem solving and research
http://twitter.com/ChrisMPaton
Researching Scottish Family History (New book)

No comments:

Post a Comment