Monday 1 November 2010

Practical Family History to cease publication

It is with a great deal of sadness that I have to announce that ABM Publishing has decided to cancel its long running magazine, Practical Family History, after the December issue, following a poor year in what has become an increasingly difficult trading environment. Its subscribers are currently being contacted.

I've had the great pleasure of writing the main news column for the magazine for the last three years, as well as numerous articles on a variety of subjects, and I know the title will be sorely missed from the news stands once it disappears. Its longer running sister title, Family Tree Magazine, will however continue to be published by ABM.

This is the second long running British genealogy magazine to cease publication in recent months (the other being The National Archives' superb Ancestors magazine). Each magazine on the newstands offers something a little different to its competitors, and caters for a different readership. Practical Family History magazine was very much an entry level title for those beginning to find their feet with the hobby, and very much did what it said on the tin - basic tips, descriptions of key resources and useful terminology to help people gain a grasp of the subject in all its glory. There are many people who will be shocked to learn of the magazine's demise, but hopefully there will be many good memories of a magazine that helped so many to steer their way through the genealogical mire towards great success in the research of their respective family trees.

To the three editors I have worked for over the last three years, Caroline Davis, Belinda Griffin and Karen Clare, I'd like to express my heartfelt thanks for the opportunity to write for the magazine; and to the current editorial team I would like to wish the very best of luck for the future.

Chris

www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk
Professional genealogical problem solving and research
http://twitter.com/ChrisMPaton
Researching Scottish Family History (New book)

2 comments:

  1. It is sad but not surprising. Practical Family History used to be one of my favourites "back in the day" but I haven't bought a genealogy magazine in years. For any family history topic, there will always be far more detailed - and up-to-date -information available online than in a magazine article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to see it go. This is one of my favourite magazines. Family history is wherever I find it, and I can take it wherever I find myself. I can read it outside, in the sun or by firelight. The Web just can't compete with that.

    ReplyDelete