Monday 3 February 2020

My LivingDNA updated ethnicity profile

I recently blogged on The GENES Blog that LivingDNA (www.livingdna.com) had updated its site with several new European regions - for that announcement visit https://britishgenes.blogspot.com/2020/01/living-dna-updates-european-panel.html.

My own DNA ethnicity estimates have now been updated for the first time since mid 2017, and I have been somewhat pleasantly surprised by the new estimate which seems to bear a bit more trace of reality!

The following is the map showing my new deduced breakdown across Britain and Ireland:


Now in a week which has already seen something of an attempted assault on my identity through Brexit (attempted - I also have an Irish passport!), it seems that a second wave has now attempted to knock my identity for six with this redefined ethnicity profile - for I have now been deprived of my Scandinavian, Basque, Pashtun, North Caucusus and North Turkish identity, as stated in my previous estimate! There goes my three year old dream now of setting up a kebab shop in Irvine...

It turns out that I am now 100% from Britain and Ireland, but with something of a more accurate distribution than that previously noted. I now have a whacking great 53% mix from the Northern Ireland and Southwest Scotland region (I mean, yeah, the previous 18% was nonsense!), a somewhat non-defined 9% southern Irish (I suspect from around Dublin), and 9% Northwest Scotland and Aberdeenshire, with 4.6% and 4.5% indicated respectively - which is interesting as I already know about my Perthshire and Invernessshire lines, but with Aberdeenshire needing some explanation.

I am delighted to say that I am also 3% Yorkshire, because I have a lot of time for Yorkshire, and I think I know where that line is in my tree, through a fourth times great grandfather called Joseph Woodroffe. He met his Scottish wife in Stirling, and remains stubbornly as a brick wall, having died in the military, and with no attestation record available, save that he served in the Duke of York's Own, the 15th Regiment of Foot.

I'm bizarrely now also 3% Welsh, and with a 14% mix from Cumbria and Northumberland, which I suspect traces to my Graham lines, and other Borders Scots based lines through the Plantations in Ireland and in Scotland itself. There is also a 9% South Central England definition, which I have absolutely no idea about, save to say that it must be wayyyyy back, and possibly through Ulster Plantation settled stock also.

On the potentially useful bit, Family Networks, I am still Johnny no-mates with a further hearty rendition of "We haven't caught you any matches yet".

An interesting update, but Ancestry DNA is still the more productive tool for me on the DNA front for now - although the Yorkshire link has cheered me up no end!

Chris

You can pre-order my new book, Tracing Your Scottish Family History on the Internet, at http://bit.ly/ChrisPaton-Scottish2 (out April). Also available, Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet (2nd ed) at http://bit.ly/ChrisPaton-Irish1 and Tracing Your Scottish Ancestry Through Church and State Records at http://bit.ly/ChrisPaton-Scotland1. Further news published daily on The Scottish GENES Facebook page, and on Twitter @genesblog.

No comments:

Post a Comment