Sunday 16 June 2024

Saturday and Sunday at the OGS conference in Toronto

I'm currently at Toronto Pearson Airport, a few hours away from flying home, after a wonderful Ontario Genealogical Society conference. This was my first visit to the city in seven years, but my fourth here over the last 14 years, and it was wonderful to catch up with so many friends made over the years - Linda Reid, who first showed me around the city 14 years ago, and James Thomson from the OGS Toronto branch, Steve and Diana Fulton, who hosted me at St. Catherine's/Niagara ten years ago, Ken McKinlay, who looked after me in Ottawa at the BIFHSGO conference, and so, so many other folk.

Friday saw the informal start to my conference, with a two-hour workshop, but Saturday and Sunday were the main events for me. Kicking everything off was my morning plenary session entitled Reimagining Genealogy, in which I took stock of where we are just now, and what is to come, particularly with Artificial Intelligence (AI). I made some observations about some recent online developments, some enthusiastic, some asking whether the balance was right, with a few laughs along the way, but by far the biggest response I got afterwards was with regards to my comments on the use of Zoom and other online platforms, asking whether this new form of community was killing off another form of community needlessly. It resonated with a few folk, this being OGS's first major in-person gathering in five years, and what made the weekend feel so special was the fact that it felt like everyone actually needed it. The more technology tries to confine us behind devices, the more we absolutely have to fight to remain as a community that actually enjoys what we do, and to fight to connect as human beings, not just as digital avatars. AI and online communications platforms are here to stay and are massively important, offering significant new avenues to research and engage, but we must not become slaves to it. 

On a personal note, another great opportunity that emerged after the session was a chance to speak to a local gentleman from Toronto who spoke Scottish Gaelic, I having used it at one stage in my presentation. The last time I spoke to anyone in Canada in Gaelic was in 1999, some 25 years ago, so it was a wonderful chance to do so again. Not all Gaels live in Scotland! (Or Ireland!)

My afternoon session on new resources and tools for Scotland was warmly received, particularly with regards to my reveals on the new Your Scottish Archives project, coming soon, thanks to the Scottish Council on Archives. Also on Saturday I attended a fascinating session entitled Ancestors Stories: Traps and Guides with actor R. H. Thomson, who has been fighting to document the names of everyone who died in the First World War. I also attended a DNA panel discussion featuring fellow Norn Iron compadre Jonny Perl, as well as Blaine Bettinger, Mags Gaulden (another possible Islandmagee cousin - would you believe it?!), and Diane Southard. It was the first time I have heard Blaine speak in person, with some interesting insight into the use of AI in DNA - he coined the word "whiplash" in regards to what he thinks we will experience over the next few years in trying to catch up with how AI is going to affect genetic genealogy, something to prepare for!

After the day's programme it was time for the grand banquet, where I had a chance to catch up with colleagues from the APG, including Theresa McVean and Dawn Carey Henry, as well as to chat with International Institute of Genealogical Studies director, Angela Breidenbach, before we listened to Paul Jones' fun presentation, Seeking Perfection One Mistake at a Time.

Today then, Sunday, saw me discusing the latest developments on Irish genealogy, including discussions on the Virtual Records Treasury, Irish Palatine resources, new census resources, and much more, which was again warmly received. After lunch, my conference ended with a fun Q&A panel featuring myself, and fellow genie compadres Paul Milner, John Reid, and Dianne Brydon. We had a lot of fun bouncing ideas off each other and with the audience. Due to my flight schedule I had to forego the final get together, but managed to say goodbye to some folk before I left.

As well as the OGS, I think this conference was also needed by me personally. In recent years, as the work of genealogy has become ever more isolated and isolationist, not least because of the recent pandemic and technological changes, I have been having something of a crisis of faith in considering my role as a working genealogist, and this was hugely reinvigorating as an experience. I learned so much from so many people, and I am returning to Scotland all fired up and excited about future developments and the road ahead. I'll be back over to this side of the Atlantic next year - but more on that in due course!

To all at the OGS, a huge and sincere thanks for bringing me over once more to speak to you all - and I look forward to hopefully catching up with you all again at some stage in the future. 

Tioraidh an-dràsta!

Chris

Order Tracing Your Belfast Ancestors in the UK at https://bit.ly/BelfastAncestors. Also available - Tracing Your Irish Ancestors Through Land Records, Sharing Your Family History Online, Tracing Your Scottish Family History on the Internet, Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet (2nd ed), and Tracing Your Scottish Ancestry Through Church and State Records - to purchase, please visit https://bit.ly/ChrisPatonPSbooks. For purchase in tthe USA visit https://www.penandswordbooks.com. Further news published daily on The Scottish GENES Facebook page, on Threads at @scottishgenesblog and via Mastodon at https://mastodon.scot/@ScottishGENES.

No comments:

Post a Comment