Wednesday 25 September 2024

Back to university in Glasgow!

So that's me now back at university! On Monday, I started the year long (well, nine months!) Certificate HE course in Gaelic Immersion at the University of Glasgow, which is essentially a full-time attendance based course that will allow me to become fully fluent in Scottish Gaelic. I've been able to speak in Gaelic for a while, and properly to have conversations for almost two years now, but as a learner there's still that process of constantly translating in the head, as opposed to just speaking a language without thinking. This course, taught entirely in Gaelic, will hopefully push me through the pain barrier to full fluency, and perhaps towards pastures new after, although predominantly fluency is my main goal. This is my fourth time at university, having previously studied for an HND in Graphic Design at the University of Ulster in Belfast, a degree in Time-Based Media at the University of the West of England, and a Postgraduate Diploma in Genealogical Studies at Strathclyde University in Glasgow, but I can honestly say that this is the one that I think that I have been looking forward to the most, and with the least pressure in terms of a pre-determined outcome. I'm going to enjoy this one!

As part of the course we'll be doing all sorts of assessed work, reading a Gaelic book each week and meeting the authors, doing weekly work experience in a Gaelic speaking environment, spending three weeks in South Uist next year, and much more. I'm in a class of fifteen, and the vibe is brilliant, everyone is rooting for each other and enjoying the craic - it'sdefinitely going to be a fun year. This is me pictured outside the university's library, where tomorrow I will be popping in to see a book written by a five times great uncle, which was published in 1870!

From a work point of view the only casualty will be that I am having to cut back considerably on client work (I will be doing very little at all on that for a while, but may be able to take on some small jobs), but it is business as usual on all other fronts, including Pharos courses tuition, giving talks, writing articles, book writing, and so on - and of course, going to Australia for three weeks in November/December for the 18th Unlock the Past Genealogy Cruise (https://www.gould.com.au/18th-cruise-southern-australia/) as the lead speaker! I will continue to put out a newsletter weekly, but may need to revisit that decision if the workload gets a bit too heavy.

In the meantime, a quick heads up that on Tuesday, October 17th, I will be giving a talk to the Joint Meeting of the Ayrshire Family History Societies, entitled Breaking Ancestral Brick Walls with DNA, to show how powerful DNA can be as a tool to help smash your genealogical headaches. The meeting will be at Troon Portland Church Hall, South Beach, Troon, at 7:30 pm.

I will hopefully see some of you there!

Chris

Order Tracing Your Belfast Ancestors in the UK at https://bit.ly/BelfastAncestors. Also available - Tracing Your Irish Ancestors Through Land Records, Sharing Your Family History Online, Tracing Your Scottish Family History on the Internet, Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet (2nd ed), and Tracing Your Scottish Ancestry Through Church and State Records - to purchase, please visit https://bit.ly/ChrisPatonPSbooks. For purchase in tthe USA visit https://www.penandswordbooks.com. Further news published daily on The Scottish GENES Facebook page, on Threads at @scottishgenesblog and via Mastodon at https://mastodon.scot/@ScottishGENES.

No comments:

Post a Comment