Thursday 1 October 2009

The Italian Chapel on Orkney

I've just read The Italian Chapel by Philip Paris, published last week, which tells the story of Italian POWs interned on Orkney after capture in WW2, and how they transformed two Nissan huts into one of the most beautiful buildings in Scotland.

The novel itself is a fictional account of the stories of many of those there - 90% is based on reality, with a healthy dose of creativity to fill in the gaps, but I'll review that in a forthcoming Discover my Past Scotland. Suffice to say it reveals a fascinating story with Orkney history, and has a really good feel good factor that makes me really want to visit the islands, a place I am sad to say I have yet to visit.

For the background to the chapel though, and some stunning images, take a look at
www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/eastmainland/italianchapel/ .
Believe me, you'll want to read the book! (Available from www.blackandwhitepublishing.com, £14.99)

Chris

www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk
Professional genealogical problem solving and research
http://twitter.com/ChrisMPaton

No comments:

Post a Comment